Thursday, October 23, 2008

Newsflash....Dad has a Favorite...

All the years that David and I have been married, if there was something that we needed done, David would fix it or I would sew it.

The fence in our back yard isn't any different.

Today, one of our vacation days, David has devoted it to rebuilding the south wall of the fence.

Short history....we did have a fence there. Our neighbor wanted to build a retaining wall and fence along the fence line there. We split the cost of the retaining wall and our neighbor did the work himself, putting in the fence within the retaining wall.

Well, it looks like a splittered, putty mess and below is a picture of the 2nd time our neighbor redid the fence job:



Hence, David is rebuilding the wall of fence that once was there; however, he is replacing it with an 8' fence. It is almost done. Pictures of the new fence will follow.

What I discovered today was this:

David came into the house and showed me part of a pencil. He said, "I gave the dog some food and put him in his crate". I am a nurse, so there was alot of information that I didn't have yet, so, I asked questions.

How big was the pencil? Where was the other part? Did the dog eat the pencil? Where was the dog when he ate the pencil? How did the dog get the pencil? Is the dog acting normal?

I found out that the eraser of the pencil was gone, the metal that held the eraser to the pencil was gone and we didn't know how much of the pencil including wood and lead the dog ate.

Then, David said, "That was my favorite pencil."

I hadn't asked the right question yet.

Of course, David was concerned about the dog. We went outside and looked where David thought Max must have been when he chewed on the pencil. We found various parts. We think most of the pencil is left and that part that was chewed up is in the yard. We took a picture of what was left of David's favorite pencil.



When I asked Max if he had eaten the pencil, his body language went as follows:

Me?


You are asking me?!


I didn't know that was Dad's favorite pencil!


Well, I'm sorry....but, I'm just 9 months old!


So, there you have it!! Dad needs a new favorite pencil for Christmas!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, knowing that you are a nurse, I almost jumped to the conclusion that the "parts" of the newly deceased pencil were scavenged from the offender's poop. Glad to know it didn't come to that.

Dad-Looks like you weren't the only one that admired that pencil.

My condolences.

Moore Fun Stories said...

Poor Dad. I am sure that pencil has helped you in many projects. I am glad Max is ok.

I wish you a warm hello and welcome to my family news.