Monday, May 30, 2011

Bird Watching

This year I bought a fold out sheet on birds for the purpose of seeing how many different species I would find in the backyard.

This morning I heard a rukus outside and found a cardinals and a couple of mockingbirds having a dive bombing activity. i have never heard such swaking! They were not happy with each other.

Earlier this week, to my surprise and delight, I discovered we have a family of doves in our backyard. They are called white-winged doves. The mother dove is pretty smart. She has one nest on one side of the yard with an egg in it. It is a nest to divert other birds from the real nest in the tree outside our bedroom window. It is in that nest where she has two chicks. They are so cute and getting so big, they take up 3/4 of the nest and the mommy has to literally sit on top of them. They seem to be really cozy and comfortable.

The mom is very patient and has let me peak from outside the tree enough to take some pictures.




Later on today, while cleaning up ligustrum vines, I saw the sign of fresh bird poop and looked up and saw a yellow-rumped warbler almost above my head. Needless to say, I gave it alot of room.

No comments:

I wish you a warm hello and welcome to my family news.