Monday, December 6, 2010

Autumn Leaves and the Flooded House



New leaves that begin to bud out in the Spring means new life and new growth. As the year progresses and the nutritional content of the trees moves up and down to help leaves keep their green color, it is our own opportunity to learn and experience spiritual growth.

I used to look at the autumn leaves as being a sign of winter approaching. The leaf slowly turns yellow, orange, rust, red, and brown and then drop of the trees and die.

Knowing that the Savior loves me and has atoned for me gives me different perspective as I look at the burning rust leaves that are hanging on the tree in our front yard right now.

As I look upon the autumn leaves now, I feel I have achieved a certain level of maturity and wisdom. I don't have to worry if the Savior loves me, because I know he does. I don't have to worry if I am worthy of certain blessings, because I am. If I continue to do my part, I will have the Holy Ghost to bear witness to me of those things and more.

One day I was about to leave for work and I walked through the den to the play room and found myself stepping in water. I called the city to come and turn off the water. I had already talked to David and he was over an hour away from home. I began removing furniture and boxes out of the water's path.

I thought I was doing a great job moving furniture from the room to keep it from getting wet and I unknowingly broke one of the legs of the bookcase. When I moved it from one room to another one of the legs fell off without my knowledge. When I stood it up, it fell on my foot, knocked over a lamp, hit the wall and bounced off the trim of the door jam leaving and imprint. I knew it wasn't my fault, only that the law of gravity had won, but I still felt frustrated and cried...for about 5 seconds...and then I was fine. Better a broken leg on a bookcase that can be fixed than a ruined bookcase that would have to be replaced.

My measure of creation is in the eyes of the Lord and not the leg that fell off the bookcase. In my earlier years I would have felt guilty for not thinking more about how to move the bookcase without the leg twisting off in the process. I probably would have called myself stupid, but not today.

I look at the orange and rust colored leaves on my tree with a different lense now. I am grateful for the gospel and how the Lord builds us up and teaches us line upon line, precept upon precept.

I feel like the rust colored leaves....more mature, more wisdom; and I have the opportunity to live on with the Lord at my side beckoning me to move forward.

Next, I will probably stubb my toe and feel like a totally stupid clutz and want to say a few choice words....um...still green in that area with opportunity for growth!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Your post is so good, it spoke to my heart. Thank you for you sharing your insight.

Love,
Ellen

I wish you a warm hello and welcome to my family news.