Sunday, September 28, 2008

Maverick moves to Legacy

On Sept. 12, 2008, we got an email stating the barn where we boarded Maverick was closing. All of us and our trailers had to be out by Sept. 30.

Moving a horse....nothing like increasing your stress level. We had our work cut out for us. We searched the internet and word of mouth to find a new place for Maverick.

We found a new home for him and moved him 3 weeks ago at Legacy. It is a beautiful place and has about 400 acreas of trails.

On the day of the move, Maverick was alittle hard to load in the trailer. It took 4 of us. Hugging our friends good-bye was just as hard. He neighed alot as we left the ranch. I was suppose to call the new barn when we left Rockwall, but couldn't. Every time I started to call to say, "We are on our way," I just cried. When we got to Lavon, I was able to make the call.

Our trip was about 1 1/2 hours long. When we made in through the gates, Maverick neighed. Maverick unloaded really easy. We decided he must have thought he was back home.

As we walked Maverick into the new barn, his head was up and he was looking at everything. One of the ranch hands had unwrapped the water hose to put water in his bucket when we were making our way down the hall to his stall. He looked at it real intently and I told David we needed to stop until the "green snake" was all curled back up where it belonged.

Maverick didn't neigh again for about a week. Now is he back to his old self and neighs when we show up in the barn.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't blame him . . . I wouldn't want you guys to walk away until the snake (real or not) was gone either. Hope you checked for spiders in his new stall. I don't care about Charlotte's Web, right now, spiders scare the begeebers out of me.

I wish you a warm hello and welcome to my family news.